Sunday, May 22, 2011

Neti Pot

This is my neti pot:

I think it is beautiful.

It's the size of miniature teapot with a straight spout and an opening the size of a nostril. Yes, indeed, that's where this shenanigan is going.

Neti is apparently Sanskrit for "nasal cleansing," which is appropriate for this nasal irrigation device.


One puts salt in it (just enough to layer the bottom) and tepid-warm water. I like to get a little picky that the salt didn't come from a salt shaker because who knows where that's been or the last time it was really cleaned, so I bring the salt box into the bathroom.

Wash your hands, of course, and give that water and salt a stir with your finger until you're sure you cannot feel any more salt crystals floating about, they would probably cause some major irritation to your nasal passages.

Then, simply, lean over the sink, tilt your head and allow the saline to flow through one nostril and out the other. I remember some of the first times it felt a little nasty, because you swallow a little solution... But watch with satisfaction as your snot falls into the sink.

Some doctors have even started recommending this for sinus infections, because it helps you clear snot without popping your ears or blowing your nose to the point that the skin becomes raw and pealing.

Unfortunately, they recommend the plastic, disposable kind - what gives? - and an expensive saline solution "pre-mixed." Now the only thing that this solution has over plain table salt and water is probably that it contains no iodine, but I'm sure you can pick up some Kosher salt for half the price and iodine-free.

Now, if you're the measuring cup type, to be more precise, it takes 1 cup of water to 1/8th to 1/4 teaspoon of non-iodized salt.

This is also an excellent device for the prevention of colds, if you feel one coming on and want to give your nose a gentle rinse. Don't, however, try to experiment using other irrigation fluids, as I read on a few blogs: the use of peroxide. I have heard far too many times the use of peroxide on wounds and this horrifies me as it is an extremely abrasive chemical and there are far gentler solutions out there that will do the trick.

Drawing of unknown source

2 comments:

Eric said...

Neti Pot is a great device.I also used neti pot and its very helpful for me. I love my neti pot.

Netipot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.