Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Wilderness Downtown


Yesterday, my little sister posted this in social media abyss and I was reminded that the first time I tried it, my computer crashed. So a word of caution: you will need a google chrome browser and you have to close all your windows/programs/tabs. I'm convinced that if it worked on my tortoise, it may very well work on yours.

So check it out!  http://www.thewildernessdowntown.com/

The idea is that you put in the address of your house growing up and the website plants images of the town, street and house in aerial and street views into the video. Don't be alarmed when it starts up and a dozen windows open, because once it gets started the windows will pop up, bit by bit.

Visually, it's beautiful and I did, indeed, feel very nostalgic in seeing familiar scenery. In the end, you're given the option to send a postcard to the person who now lives in your house growing up, but I haven't quite figured out how that works.

What's more, this is actually a web-based music video for the Arcade Fire's "We Used to Wait" of their newest album The Suburbs. This is another album that takes a couple listens to get into, but has a lot of great tracks.

From: Wikipedia (album art)

No comments: