Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Thrift Store Finds


When I was a little younger, I absolutely hated going to the Sally Ann. It was a dark and overcrowded shop, that smelled musty and all the toys were broken in some way. But somehow, I broke out of this spoiled-egg shell when I moved back to the big city, in an expensive apartment with a lot of accumulated debt.

Now, in my regular schedule I slip in to the local thrift stores and feel grateful to live in an area where there is such an abundance. I go in now just to browse the stock, I know the days (early in the week) and the times (early in the day) when a visit might be more fruitful. After a brief dispute, I agreed to give away (almost) all my half dozen matching IKEA mugs, and instead I embarked on a hunt for interesting mugs. Perhaps inspired by my pottery class some months ago, I feel more aware of the effort that goes into each handmade mug (and the cost that I can't afford for a new one). But I also enjoy a variety of mugs on the shelf to choose from with different designs and colours. I like looking forward to clearing out the dishes in the sink just to find that one mug.

Here are some of my best finds:


Go out and check out your own second-hand store!

No comments: