Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sushi Bowl with Avocado and Brown Rice


I tried to make our bowls look just as good as the ones in Heidi Swanson's cookbook called "Super Natural Cooking." I've mentioned her before, as I really like her recipe blog 101 Cookbooks, that you can find here. She always has beautiful pictures to drool over.

This recipe is actually supposed to have Toasted Nori (in my house, it's just sea weed but I supposed that just doesn't resonate quite the same) but we didn't have any, so I've removed it from the title, as it was still very good!

2 cups short-grain brown rice
2 tsp fine-grain sea salt
(2 square sheets nori)
6 ounces extra-firm tofu
4 green onions, chopped
1 avocado (we used 2, mm!), peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
sesame seeds

Citrus-Soy Dressing
Grated zest and juice of 1 orange (the dressing maker was not fond of orange zest and suggests that this be removed from the recipe, but I liked it)
Grated zest and juice of 1/2 lemon (this was supplemented for a lime since we didn't have one)
2 tbs natural cane sugar (we used brown...)
2 tablespoons of shoyu sauce (we used Tamari but you could also just use soy sauce)
2 tbs of (brown) rice vinegar


Bring the rice (about 1:2 rice to water) to a boil and simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour.

(toast nori in preheated oven at 300 degrees F, not today my friend, it is a heatwave)

Drain tofu, place in medium hot dry skillet and drizzle with a little Tamari or soy sauce for a few minutes (I find it likes to stick, so I don't like to make it too crispy).

Dressing: combine orange juice, lemon juice, and sugar in a small saucpan and bring to a gentle boil. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes, then add the shoyu sauce and vinegar. Return to a gentle boil and cook another 1 or 2 minutes, until slightly thickened. Remove form the heat and stir in the zests. Poor on top of bowls.

No comments: