Thursday, July 7, 2011

BAYA salad (Barley, Arugula, Yam, Avocado)

I tried to mimic a salad we had on the long weekend and it ended up quite tasty though not at all like the one we'd had.

I used Pot Barley (not to be confused with the more common pearl barley) which takes twice as long (about an hour) to cook because it is less processed than pearl barley. It also smells a bit strange while it's cooking (a bit like hops, which I believe smells a bit like urine).

I made the barley over lunch, letting it cool in the fridge so we could eat it later. I also steamed the yams ahead of time, in thick slices that I cut down into fours.

Ingredients:
- 1 cup of barley (rinsed, cooks in 2.5 cups of water/stock, simmering with a good lid for an hour)
- 2 steamed or boiled yams
- 2 big handfuls of arugula (ours was mixed with other baby greens)
- 1 or 2 avocados
- half a tub of cherry tomatoes halved or a couple regular tomatoes cut small
- half a cup of chopped red onion to be sliced and mixed into the dressing

dressing:
- lots of olive oil (nearly a quarter cup because of the barley)
- full lemon
- salt and pepper to taste

No comments: