Thursday, March 31, 2011

Marc Riboud


A couple years ago, I went to visit some family in France with my mother. My mother went ahead to St-Malo, Britany, to stay with my grandparents and I decided to stay a week with my illustrator uncle in Paris.

Despite my hopes for this burst of freedom, my uncle being a pretty relaxed guy and also very busy most days working long hours in his studio, I quickly became lonely. I had been coming from an apartment of 3 girls in Montréal and am also the forth child in a family of five, and so company is just a way of life for me. Regardless, I filled my days, walked around till my feet smelled so putrid I was forced to buy another pair of shoes. Who can really complain about a week in Paris? I also spent a lot of time lounging about with Cachou, my uncle's cat.

More to the point, my uncle suggested I go see this so-called "Musée de la vie romantique" and I had run out of things to do and spent little time up near the Sacré Coeur and Montmartre. And so I was pleasantly surprised to find this lovely museum which looked more like a house with a quaint courtyard filled with plants. With the photography, I felt I'd traveled a good part of the world in black-and-white portraits. Being someone who loves photography but by no means a connoisseur... Marc Riboud's exhibit drew me in and inspired me to take more photos.


From : http://www.marcriboud.com/

No comments: