Sunday, September 25, 2011

French Toast!

Sunday brunch French toast!


My mother had given me some lovely bread which I had somewhat forgotten about and had become a bit hard in the fridge. One was a walnut loaf and the other hazelnut and raisin. I sliced each into thick slices and, for the first time, made French toast! The recipe is from Allrecipes.com (see it here), thanks Jan Bittner. The house smells delicious.

Ingredients
 6 thick slices bread
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
salt to taste

Strawberry topping: 1 cup of frozen strawberries (pre-sliced), big spoonful of brown sugar, 1/4 cup of water; bring to a boil and simmer to thicken for the duration of the cook time of the French toast.

Icing sugar topping (optional)

Directions
 Beat together egg, milk, salt, desired spices and vanilla. Heat a lightly oiled griddle of skillet over medium-high flame (as if, my elements took a little longer to heat, and I'd say my pan was medium-ly oiled). Dunk each slice of bread in egg mixture, soaking both sides (if I were to do this again I would probably soak them a bit longer, especially for thick and dense bread). Place in pan, and cook on both sides until golden. Serve hot.


No comments: