Saturday, August 6, 2011

Sweeteners and Sweet Tofu

Someone asked me yesterday about sweeteners as an alternative to sugar while they are on a diet. Now, personally, I see sweeteners and sugar as two pretty equal health harmers, with sweeteners a little worse. Maybe because, from an ethical point of view, I find it horrid when marketing tries to pawn off sweeteners as the "healthy alternative" to sugar. Really, sweeteners are linked with cancer and sugar is linked with glucose-intolerance diabetes, cardiovascular disease and obesity. So, I leave that one to you.

more on this here and here from Alive magazine.

If you're really set on this diet, then reach for the real natural sugars, that is, reach for a fruit. As for sweetening, it's best to avoid it, both the sugar and sweetener kind. So what to put in one's coffee? I'm not sure. Do I dare say, if you can't drink your coffee without it than maybe you shouldn't be drinking it at all? That ones from my mum.

Oh yeah, apparently maple syrup is one of the best alternatives, as it contains anti-oxidants. And watch that you're getting the Canadian kind, as apparently the standards are not the same for American in terms of use of antibiotic pellets or something. Anyway, more importantly make sure that it's real maple syrup.

Anyway, it's found that many of us have become quite addicted to sugar (in the brain chemistry sense of addiction, as seen to drugs, for example) but that, apparently -- and I do not say this from experience -- after cutting down on it or cutting it out completely, one does stop craving it the way that we do. Chocolate, well, that's another story.

Now, I can't stress enough, though, that just because it's on the market it's not unanimously considered safe. It's said that, as a "good consumer" you will (and are considered to have the "right to") make the choices even faced with bad options and luring campaigns.

It think that it is nearly made impossible to keep up with the good, bad and ugly of food (let alone other products, although for many personal care products there is a good reference by the U.S. Environmental Working Group called Skin Deep, see it here), but I think it's foolish not to at least try to eat well. You are what you eat and a combination of healthy eating and active lifestyle never caused lawsuit, as far as I know.

Food is such an important part of our lives and we share it with the people around us, meaning that if we eat well they will also learn to eat well.

So, speaking of sweet things, I've been busy because my sister is in town and babysitting these cats, as they peer out to the forbidden outside.. Also, I made a delicious caramelized tofu last weekend and I thought I'd share the recipe, but it might be slightly off because I was having trouble remembering it...

Caramelized Tofu

Marinate the tofu (half a package of extra-firm) for about an hour in the fridge in:
- 2-3 Tbs tamari/soy sauce
- 1 Tsp. of garlic hot chili sauce
- 1-2 limes
- 1-2 Tsp of finely grated ginger

Cook the tofu on medium heat until it is hot and the soy sauce begins to bubble. Add 5 heaping spoons of sugar and cook till it melts into caramel.

Serve over rice, top with cilantro.

mmm!

No comments: